Despite the fact we are enjoying unseasonably warm weather for October, rumours abound that there is a cold snap looming. Some say “bring it on”, others are not so keen. Like it or not, icy conditions on the roads are a hazard and in Northern Ireland we always seem to be surprised by it.
So let’s give some thought to how to be prepared. With regards to your car, having your tyres in the best condition possible is a good place to start so you are less likely to be grounded in freezing conditions. Here are a few top tips to ensure you are prepared for cold weather:
- If your winter tyres have been in our ‘tyre hotel’ during the summer it is high time you got them back on your vehicle and give your warm weather tyres a rest.
- Top up your screen wash, if you only have water in there it is more likely to freeze
- Carry windscreen de-icer in your car for those chilly nights you’ve been out and want to get home quickly and safely. You need maximum visibility from your car windows.
- Check your tyre tread and pressure. Think about winter tyres, they give you extra braking distance and improved grip on the road.
- Make sure your car lights are all clean and working, replace any bulbs and get headlights aligned if required
- Check your brakes
- If you get stuck in bad weather and can’t get traction on the road, a good tip is to use foot mats behind the tyres to help get you out of a tight spot.
- In extreme freezing conditions carry a spade, some sand and emergency supplies in the boot of your car. Make wise decisions about whether your journey is really necessary.
If you need vehicle tyres checked or your car serviced in preparation for winter, just contact A One Tyres to get your car booked in to our Garage Services Department. For further advice or information call A One Tyres on 028 9269 9107.